Skip to main content


21:45 19th October 2010


The deadly double act of Chris Eagles and Chris Iwelumo did it again as the Clarets resumed normal service at Turf Moor.

The pair had shared the four goals when Burnley thumped Hull City 4-0 in their previous home game.

And following the frustration of successive draws on their travels, they were at it again to beat Barnsley into submission and give Brian Laws' men a fifth win in six games at a seemingly impregnable Turf Moor.

Eagles was the catalyst with the all-important opening goal which he hammered home five minutes into the second half.

The talismanic winger then made it 2-0 from the penalty 15 minutes later and as no home win would be complete without a goal from Iwelumo, the Clarets' leading marksman duly weighed in with his eighth of the season nine minutes from time.

The result, which might have been even more emphatic in a one-sided second half, propelled Burnley up to fourth in the Championship.

And with a home game to come against Reading on Saturday, the Clarets are on the move again.

Chris Eagles nets again from the spot ...

... and here comes the dance!

Having been stung by dropping two points at the death at Sheffield United three days earlier, the Clarets sought an early pick-me-up on their return to home territory.

Eagles almost provided it inside the opening two minutes with the first of a stream of killer crosses which just eluded Jay Rodriguez as he slid in on goal.

And that was to prove typical of the opening half in which the Clarets peppered the Barnsley penalty area without being able to deliver the decisive blow.

A driving run by Tyrone Mears saw Dean Marney just fail to connect and the midfielder, who opened his Clarets' account at Bramall Lane, then showed his liking for goal with two fiercely struck shot shots which tested Luke Steele.

The Tykes' keeper made a meal of the second effort and he got away with another blunder after half an hour when the Clarets almost took the lead.

Another Eagles cross was aimed at Iwelumo and when Steele failed to gather, the big striker hooked the ball goalwards where Jason Shackell was in the right place to clear from on the line.

The Clarets, with Brian Easton playing his part on a long-awaited league debut, had gradually wound up the pressure in their bid to extend their impressive home record.

But they didn't have it all their own way as Barnsley were always dangerous on the break with former Clarets' striker Andy Gray the focal point of their attack.

Another goal for Chris Iwelumo

And the best chances actually fell the visitors' way with midfielder Goran Lovre twice making dangerous runs into the penalty area.

The first required an excellent covering tackle from Leon Cort to snuff out the danger but in the 28th-minute the Serbian should have done better with a weak shot which was easily saved by Brian Jensen.

Jensen was also forced to parry a swerving shot from Adam Hammill as Barnsley, without an away win all the season, went into the break on level terms.

The visitors were also quickest out of the blocks at the start of the second half as on-loan Manchester City youngster Kieran Trippier robbed Easton and dragged a shot just across the face of goal.

But just when the Clarets needed a flash of inspiration it came from the dazzling feet of Eagles.

The former Manchester United man is enjoying a rich vein of form and when Wade Elliott ferried a Iwelumo knock-down into the feet of the winger, he whipped a right-footed shot into the top corner from just outside the penalty area.

The goal lifted the Clarets as Rodriguez fired just wide and Jack Cork fizzed a long-ranger just over the bar as Burnley went for the kill.

Barnsley lost the services of former Burnley loanee Jay McEveley when he was stretchered off with an hour gone and within a minute they were almost two behind.

Again Eagles was involved with a lovely cross for Iwelumo, whose downward header was fingered tipped up and onto the underside of the bar by Steele.

The reprieve didn't last long, though, as the Clarets did double their lead after 65 minutes.

And inevitably it was down to Eagles, although the hand-ball decision against Nathan Doyle when he blocked the winger's cross was a tough one.

Presented with the chance to score his sixth goal of the season from the penalty spot Eagles wasn't about to pass it up, and duly drove home his second successful spot-kick in as many games.

The goal was the cue for Burnley to take complete control as Eagles went hunting for his hat-trick and his team-mates queued up for a pop at goal before Eagles gave way to a standing ovation as Ross Wallace was given a late run-out.

Jensen had to warm his hands to palm away a Hammill free-kick to secure another clean sheet.

But it was all Burnley and after Rodriguez had seen his shot from a narrow angle deflected onto a post, Iwelumo got his eighth home goal of the campaign.

The big striker can do no wrong at Turf Moor and so when the ball broke nicely for him in the penalty area it inevitably ended up in the bottom corner of the net as he side-footed home from 12 yards to put the seal on another impressive performance.

Burnley: Jensen, Mears, Easton, Cort, Bikey, Cork, Marney (Alexander 88), Elliott, Iwelumo (Paterson 83), Rodriguez, Eagles (Wallace 80) . Subs: Duff, Edgar, Thompson, Grant.

Barnsley: Steele, Hassell, McEveley (Potter 60), Shackell, Foster, Doyle, Colace, Lovre (Wood 74), Hammill, Trippier, Gray. Subs: Arismendi, Butterfield, Dickinson, Preece.

Referee: Andy Haines.

Booked: Burnley: Mears 16

Attendance: 14,428

    Data provided by Press Association