Skip to main content


21:50 22nd September 2009


Burnley and the drama of the Carling Cup go hand in hand - and the Clarets were involved in another thrilling instalment before crashing out to Championship side Barnsley.

Owen Coyle's men produced a string of shocks in reaching the semi-finals last season.

But the boot was on the other foot as a second-half winner from Argentinian midfielder Hugo Colace took the Tykes into the last 16 and continued the Clarets' Oakwell jinx .

And to add to Burnley's disappointment they also lost striker Martin Paterson and Brian Jensen to injuries, which saw the pair stretchered off in a first half that included three goals and lasted 53 minutes.

Martin Paterson pulls up in the first half

Steven Fletcher had put the Clarets ahead, but Burnley trailed by the break and even though the impressive Chris Eagles levelled it was Barnsley who grabbed a place in the last 16 thanks to a 74th-minute winner from Colace.

Burnley boss Coyle had made six changes to the side that had beaten Sunderland in the Premier League, but retained the central defensive pairing of Clarke Carlisle and Andre Bikey and also paired Fletcher and Paterson together up front in an attacking 4-4-2 formation.

Unfortunately the strike partnership lasted just 15 minutes before Paterson was stretchered off with a knee injury after appearing to twist awkwardly.

By then Fletcher had already gone close to giving the Clarets the lead with a bullet header from an Eagles corner, which was blocked on the line by Rob Kozluk after a mazy run from Fernando Guerrero had ended with a deflected shot bouncing just past the post.

But Fletcher, who returned the favour with a clever back-heel for Eagles to bring a smart block out of David Preece, would not be denied for long with the Scot again showing his liking for the competition by firing Burnley in front after 21 minutes with his third goal of the campaign.

Steven Fletcher celebrates his stunning strike

Getting the better of Darren Moore on the edge of the penalty area, Fletcher controlled a bouncing ball and after turning sharply fired a right-footed shot past Preece and into the bottom corner.

After countering Barnsley's lively start, Burnley looked as though that strike would give them a platform to take control and seize a first win at the West Yorkshire ground for 77 years.

But the Championship side was not prepared to lie down and, belying their poor start to the season, levelled within 60 seconds.

Bikey thought he should have been given a free-kick following a tussle with Jon Macken, but instead Barnsley were awarded a throw-in and when the ball was delivered into the penalty area Macken reacted well to stab the ball home after Iain Hume had headed against a post.

And although Eagles and Guerrero were always a threat on the break, things got worse for the Clarets when goalkeeper Brian Jensen was carried off after 34 minutes following a painful collision with Darren Moore as the pair both went for a free-kick floated into the Burnley box.

Brian Jensen is carried from the field

Diego Penny came off the bench and the Peruvian was immediately called into action, diving bravely at the feet of Hume to save before Adam Hammill converted the rebound from an off-side position.

Seemingly rattled by the injuries and re-organisation, which led to eight minutes of added time at the end of the first-half, the Clarets had another let-off when Anderson De Silva missed a simple chance from in front of goal.

But with Coyle doubtless desperate to get his troops into the dressing room to re-group, Burnley did fall behind in the seventh-minute of injury-time.

Richard Eckersley was caught out by Hammill and even though the winger's run was held up on the edge of the Burnley penalty area, Brazilian De Silva lashed the loose ball into the top corner from 25 yards.

Coyle replaced Eckersley, who was on a yellow card, with Michael Duff at the break to give the Northern Ireland his first action of the season.

And Burnley made the perfect start to the second half as they levelled just seven minutes in.

Guerrero and Eagles had tormented the Barnsley defence all night and the pair combined brilliantly, with Guerrero sprinting down the left flank before jinking in and squaring for Eagles to tap in his first goal of the season.

Burnley looked the most likely to go on and claim a winner at that point, but Hume fired another warning shot across their bows with a skidding effort which went just wide after getting behind Bikey and the underdogs took inspiration from that.

And with a fresh injection of belief the Tykes claimed the winner with 16 minutes to go thanks to a goal from Colace, who rounded off a swift break with a thumping header from De Silva's right-wing cross.

Fletcher, Burnley's saviour in the previous round at Hartlepool, almost forced extra-time with two efforts which were saved by Preece, but Barnsley held out to end Burnley's hopes of another cup adventure and reach the fourth round for the first time since 1999.

Burnley: Jensen (Penny 34), Kalvenes, Carlisle, McDonald, Gudjonsson, Fletcher, Paterson (Rodriguez 15), Eckersley (Duff 46), Bikey, Guerrero, Eagles. Substitutes: Elliott, Edgar, Blake, Easton.

Barnsley: Preece, Kozluk, Moore (Thompson 46), Foster, Hume, Colace, Hammill, Butterfield, De Silva, Gray, Macken. Substitutes: Rusling, Devaney, Sodje, Bogdanovic, Haimour, Heslop.

Referee: M Clattenburg

Attendance: 6,270

    Data provided by Press Association