Skip to main content


16:02 26th December 2009


With the January sales looming, David Nugent again advertised his value to the Clarets as Burnley once more came from behind to extend their unbeaten home run to five games.

Nugent, whose loan deal from Portsmouth expires next month, headed home a Wade Elliott cross to cancel out Matthew Taylor's thundering first-half free-kick.

The striker justified his inclusion in Owen Coyle's re-shuffled starting line-up with his third goal for the club as Burnley producing a storming second-half performance.

As against Fulham and Arsenal, the Clarets hit back to take a point in front of their biggest crowd of the season.

The woodwork, two fine saves from Jussi Jaaskelainen and a number of missed chances prevented it from being all three and a first win in eight games.

But the result crucially kept Bolton below Burnley in the table and proved again that the Clarets will not buckle at Turf Moor as they prepare for Monday's trip to Everton and another chance for a first away success.

With Steven Caldwell and Clarke Carlisle both ruled out through injury, Michael Duff made his first top-flight start for the Clarets to complete his impressive journey through five divisions of English football.

He was partnered in the centre of Burnley's defence by Andre Bikey and with Nugent handed his first start for more than two months in tandem with Steven Fletcher up front, the Clarets showed their intent with an attacking 4-4-2 formation.

If the switch was designed was to get at Bolton from the start it didn't go quite according to plan in a quiet opening as Bolton captain Kevin Davies threatened first with a curling effort which went just past the far post.

But Burnley gradually took a grip mid-way through the first half as they found the tempo which had been the hallmark of much of their football at Turf Moor this season.

Nugent went to ground under a challenge from former Burnley loan man Gary Cahill but failed to get a decision out of referee Chris Foy.

And Fletcher should then have put Burnley ahead after 23 minutes but was guilty of a glaring miss when he side-footed wide a cross from Elliott after the winger had robbed hestitant defender Zat Knight.

Nugent then shot wide as Burnley continued to press but with half an hour gone they were rocked by Taylor's stunning free-kick as Bolton went 1-0 ahead.

When Bikey and Davies challenged for a high ball Davies was awarded a free-kick and from 25 yards out Taylor swung his lethal left foot and sent the ball flying past Jensen and into the top corner.

The Clarets had not previously won a game this season after falling behind and the goal slowed their momentum.

The busy Nugent tried to spark things off in search of an equaliser but it took an alert block from Jensen in first-half stoppage time to keep Burnley in touch as he saved from Ivan Klasnic.

Coyle kept things the same at the start of the second half and knowing they needed a big 45 minutes Burnley responded in positive fashion.

And just five minutes in they were a whisker away from equalising. A persistent run from Chris Eagles set up a shooting chance for Kevin McDonald and from more than 20 yards out he rattled a left-footer against the underside of the bar.

Bolton fired another warning shot at the other end with a Taylor shot which skimmed the post, although a linesman's flag may have saved the Clarets, but Burnley had the bit between their teeth and Fletcher saw another chance slip by when he shot over from Eagles' pull-back.

Bolton were rocking and with an hour played the Clarets made it 1-1 through Nugent. The striker had looked determined to make the most of his opportunity all afternoon and when Elliott swung over a cross from the right, the striker leapt to head in his first goal since September.

With Turf Moor coming alive, the Clarets went for the kill with Eagles tearing Bolton apart. Eagles and Bikey both shot wide and then a magnificent piece of skill from Fletcher almost led to a second goal but the Scot could not poke the ball home at full stretch.

Burnley were desperate for the winner their storming second-half display merited but Jussi Jaaskelainen stood in their way as the veteran keeper made two fine saves to deny Eagles and Nugent following excellent work from Elliott and Fletcher as Bolton clung on desperately to a point.

That could have been taken away from them with eight minutes to go as Nugent again got the better of Knight from Elliott's long ball forward but this time he could not hit the target as he dragged his shot wide to leave the Clarets waiting for another win.

Burnley:Jensen, Mears, Jordan, Bikey, Duff, Alexander, McDonald, Elliott, Fletcher (Blake 79), Nugent, Eagles. Subs: Penny, Kalvenes, Gudjonsson, Edgar, Thompson, Guerrero.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, K Davies, Taylor, Knight, Lee (Gardner 73), Basham, Cahill, Steinsson, Cohen, Robinson, Klasnic (M Davies 70). Subs: Al Habsi, Elmander, O'Brien, Ricketts, Samuel.

Referee: Chris Foy

Attendance: 21,761

    Data provided by Press Association